Sunday 15 January 2012

Old MacDonald ain't got nothing on me!

Old MacDonald may have had a farm, but I bet his farm didn’t taste half as good as mine! After all, my farm is made of cupcakes and cake pops!



Yesterday was the baby shower of a good friend of mine, Ebonee. The theme of the baby shower was farm animals as Ebonee is a lover of all things nature, in particular farm animals! To help her celebrate this wonderful occasion, I made a farm animal themed cupcake arrangement and cake pops.

As you can see from the photos above, sitting at the top of the cupcake arrangement is a two tier fondant covered chocolate cake. It was an absolute nightmare covering the cake! I was rushing to get the cake done as I was running late for dinner with Brendyn’s friends. I wasn’t paying attention and accidently rolled the fondant out too thin and when I went to cover the cake, the fondant kept tearing and cracks were appearing everywhere! The more cracks that appeared, the more frustrated I got! It got to the point where I just stormed out of the kitchen in a huff and went to dinner. I nearly did a Lonely Island and “threw it on ground”. When I got home, I decided not to start the cake from scratch, but instead covered the dodgy fondant work with decorations such as the red barn, grass and trees. And it turned out ok – life is not that bad after all! I have definitely learnt my lesson though. Firstly, do not be stingy with the fondant and secondly, not to rush the process!

The cupcakes were my usual vanilla cupcake recipe with buttercream frosting and chocolate frosting – nothing too exciting. I decorated the cupcakes with six types of farm animal fondant toppers: cow, dog, horse, pig, rooster and sheep. As you can see, I also cut out little brown fences to decorate the cupcake stand and cake pop holder. As you know, I am a lover of themes and when someone gives me a theme, I just have to do everything in my power to adhere to the theme as strictly as possible. After all, consistency is cool!

Overall, despite the cake hiccup, I am pretty happy with this baking adventure! Ee-i-ee-i-oh!




1 comment:

  1. Hi, I really like your "farm". I'm trying to make cake pops of animals with ears, but really have no imagination of what to put as ears. as it is for children I have to be careful not to put anything "strange". I surfed on the net and don't find anything useful. Maybe you can help me?

    ReplyDelete