Thursday 8 September 2011

Happy belated Father’s Day!

All work and no blogging makes for a cranky pants Tina. Once again, work has been hectic and blogging and baking has been pushed to the side. Work should quieten down over the next few weeks, so I should be able to get my priorities back into check: One – baking, Two – blogging, Three – everything else!

Anyway, last Sunday was Father’s Day in Australia. I wanted to make a special cupcake that both dads would like. My dad does not usually like to eat my cupcakes as he finds the icing to be too sweet and although my father-in-law does eat my cupcakes, I wanted to make a cupcake flavour he would like. So I thought long and hard about what each dad likes. Generally, my daddy always opts for spiced apple type cakes. And what goes well with spiced apples...custard (one of my father-in-law’s biggest favs)! I thought I had come up with the winning combination.


I found a spiced apple cupcake recipe online. I was supposed to add three eggs to the mixture but I stopped at two due lack of sleep. The cupcake itself was a little dense, I am not sure whether it was suppose to turn out that way or due my lack of ability to follow instructions, but nevertheless it was dense.


Oddly enough, I searched high and low and I couldn’t find a custard frosting. So I had to free style it. I made a batch of fresh custard and mixed it up with a batch of butter cream frosting. It turned out quite delicious. It was really light and fluffy – not what I had expected at all.


To decorate, I sliced two apples into very thin slices and sprinkled the apple slices with cinnamon and brown sugar. I baked the apple slices in the oven for 30 minutes and they turned out a beautiful golden brown.



The cupcakes were not the best, not horrible enough to ruin Father’s Day, but adequate to satisfy an afternoon tea. Happy Father’s Day to all the daddies out there! x

No comments:

Post a Comment